History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rectory Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Great and Little Chishill, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0152 / 52°0'54"N

Longitude: 0.0656 / 0°3'56"E

OS Eastings: 541852

OS Northings: 237215

OS Grid: TL418372

Mapcode National: GBR L9J.RD8

Mapcode Global: VHHL1.3L1Z

Entry Name: Rectory Farmhouse

Listing Date: 17 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162477

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52842

Location: Great and Little Chishill, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Great and Little Chishill

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Find accommodation in
Great Chishall

Listing Text

TL 43 NW GT & LT CHISHILL LT CHISHILL
8/13
Rectory Farmhouse
GV II
Farmhouse. Mid.C16 with reused late C14 roof timbers; late C18 or early C19
additions and alterations, restored c.1970 and extended to west.
Timber-framed with C20 render, and red brick. Plain tiled roofs; rebuilt
ridge stack, end stack to right hand. Two storeys, original three unit plan
with rear winy at west end. Extended by one timber-framed bay to the east
and with single storey bakehouse and sunken dairy in rear outshut. South
elevation; C20 gabled cross wing to west, main range with nine-panelled door
with side lights and two three-light casement windows with glazing bars to
right hand. Three similar, but smaller first floor casement windows.
Interior: Exposed timber-frame with traces of vermillion paint; two
original mullioned windows with rebates for shutters and evidence of former
windows in each room. Floor frames raised possibly when two chimneys were
inserted c.1800 or later. Baking oven partly restored. Late C14 smoke
blackened rafters with mortices for collars and collar braces and ashlar
pieces (qv St.Nicolas Church) reconstructed with side purlins.
RCHM Report 1951


Listing NGR: TL4185237215

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.