This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3515 / 52°21'5"N
Longitude: 0.0074 / 0°0'26"E
OS Eastings: 536817
OS Northings: 274494
OS Grid: TL368744
Mapcode National: GBR K42.GPS
Mapcode Global: VHHJG.25R6
Entry Name: Bluntisham House
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Last Amended: 4 November 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162482
English Heritage Legacy ID: 53768
Location: Bluntisham, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: Bluntisham
Built-Up Area: Bluntisham
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Bluntisham cum Earith St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
BLUNTISHAM RECTORY ROAD
(formerly listed as
TL 36 74 17/8 24.10.51
Circa 1720, Rectory, with later C18 wings and C19 additions and alterations. Original
T-plan. Two-storeys and attics. Yellow brick, plain tile hipped roofs. Three
original stacks with moulded brick courses. Stone capped parapet to slightly
projecting central block. Range of five sash windows in cambered gauged arches with
glazing bars at first and attic floors. Similar sash windows flank central limestone
doorcase with shouldered bolection moulded architrave, engaged fluted Corinthian
columns, and entablature with monograph. (Removed from Slepe Hall, St Ives 1848).
Banding between storeys. Parapet to two-storey wings with Venetian windows in
gauged brick arches at ground floor and hung sash windows at first floor.
Interior: Fine original open-string staircase with turned balusters, pair of newels
at first floor with bosses and ball finials. Two late C17 bolection moulded door-
cases with six panelled doors. Colonade to alcove in hall with two fluted Doric
columns in square-sectioned pilasters. Dorothy Sayers b. 1893 lived at the Rectory
from 1897 until circa 1919. Pre 1745 'Dr Knight has built a house' on coat of arms
over door now removed. Rev Tillard made alterations circa 1800 and Rev Baines
inserted Slepe Hall doorway in 1848 (C F Tebbutt 1941).
Listing NGR: TL3681774494
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings