History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Carnkie Methodist Church Including Courtyard Walls, Gate Piers and Gate

A Grade II Listed Building in Carnkie, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 50.1642 / 50°9'50"N

Longitude: -5.2011 / 5°12'3"W

OS Eastings: 171482

OS Northings: 34251

OS Grid: SW714342

Mapcode National: GBR Z4.VYNN

Mapcode Global: VH12Y.S4SH

Entry Name: Carnkie Methodist Church Including Courtyard Walls, Gate Piers and Gate

Listing Date: 17 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162514

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66366

Location: Wendron, Cornwall, TR13

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Wendron

Built-Up Area: Carnkie

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Wendron

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


5/379 Carnkie Methodist Church, including
- courtyard walls, gate-piers and


Bible Christian Chapel, including courtyard walls, gate-piers and gates in front and
at the sides. Datestone 1900. Dressed granite, brought to course, with granite
dressings. Dry slate roof with pedimented gable at the front, hipped end at rear.
Plan: Unaltered rectangular aisle-less plan with narrow organ loft over vestry at
the rear plus original entrance porch midway to the left-hand entrance front, another
porch clasping the rear left-hand corner and another porch clasping the rear right-
hand corner with steps up to its front doorway. Classical style with some Gothic
Exterior: Tall elevation with chamfered plinths. Symmetrical 1:1:1 window road
front with wider central bay broken forward and surmounted by a pediment and flanking
bays surmounted by balustrades with terminal newels surmounted by ball finials. The
bays are flanked by buttresses with moulded weatherings. Central bay has tall 4-
light transomed mullioned window with stepped round-headed lights and tracery over
the central lights. Pediment has machicolated cornice under, large moulded kneelers
supporting a moulded coping, name and date in bold relief, memorial plaques and a
central quatrefoil. Flanking bays each have single light round-headed windows. All
the windows have hoodmoulds. Original coloured leaded glazing.
Side walls have simple glazing in original round-headed openings. Porches have
original panelled doors. Principal porch has traceried fanlight with coloured glass.
Porch on the right has granite steps and original iron handrail carried on
Interior: Front walls are low with dressed granite copings originally surmounted
with iron railings which have been removed. Wide central gateway has dressed granite
square-on-plan piers like columns with fluted necking; terminal piers have rusticated
shafts but all piers have moulded caps with ball finials. Original elaborate cast-
iron gates. Taller flanking walls are rubble with cemented copings.

Listing NGR: SW7148234251

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.