This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1879 / 52°11'16"N
Longitude: -0.0666 / 0°3'59"W
OS Eastings: 532266
OS Northings: 256165
OS Grid: TL322561
Mapcode National: GBR K5X.V95
Mapcode Global: VHGMQ.S8NM
Entry Name: Bourn Hall
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162529
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51060
Location: Bourn, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Bourn
Built-Up Area: Bourn
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Bourn St Helena and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 31/01/2012
HIGH STREET (west of),
(Formerly listed under Bourn Hall, High Street)
Small country house. Dated '1602 H IF' on rainwater heads, built for John
and Frances Hager, possibly including part of an earlier building.
Considerably altered in 1817-19 by John Aday Repton with features introduced
from Haslingfield Hall (demolished 1814-1818) for John and Elizabeth
Sackville-West, fifth Earl De La Warr. Internal courtyard reputed to have
been enclosed in C19 by Norman Shaw (1881-1912). C17 and C19 red brick
casing timber-frame of north-west wing; limestone dressings. Plain tile
roofs. Two storeys and attics, enclosed original U-plan. Symmetrical
north-east facade, three-gabled, with five 'bays'. Four two storey bay
windows, two inner square bays C17, two outer canted bays with embattled
parapets. Bay to north with ground floor porched entrance, c.1818 with
moulded stone four-centred arch with outer square head and achievement of
arms with initials 'D' and 'S'. C17 oak studded door in moulded wooden
frame. Moulded string at first floor and plinth. Three three-light C19
attic casement windows, five first floor and four ground floor C19 five-light
windows with transomes. Seven chimney stacks, including two internal stacks,
each with three C19 terracotta shafts on original octagonal bases.
Interior. Ground-floor plan obscured by alterations, interior details c.1817
in Tudor Revival style using C16 and C17 panelling and chimney pieces. The
study and drawing room fireplaces were introduced from Haslingfield Hall,
(RCHM Plate 56) also the C17 staircase with enriched turned balusters, square
newels with richly carved finials. Some original C17 plasterwork, staircase
and panelled and boarded doors in situ. The hall is built within the moated
site of the C11 Bourn Castle. The grounds were laid out by Humphry Repton
V.C.H. Vol. V, p6
R.C.H.M. West Cambs. p21, mon.2 Plates 56 and 58.
Pevsner Buildings of England, p307
Relhan drawings. C.A.S. of Bourn and Haslingfield
Listing NGR: TL3226656165
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings