This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4193 / 50°25'9"N
Longitude: -3.9181 / 3°55'5"W
OS Eastings: 263831
OS Northings: 59472
OS Grid: SX638594
Mapcode National: GBR Q7.X190
Mapcode Global: FRA 27PY.7DH
Entry Name: Church of St Petroc
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Last Amended: 2 February 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162617
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99183
Location: Harford, South Hams, Devon, PL21
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Harford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 65 NE HARFORD HARFORD
25-5-60 Church of St Petroc
(formerly listed as
Church of St Petrock)
Circa late C15 to early C16. Granite, with rough granite ashlar west tower. Slate
roofs. Comprises nave and chancel in one south aisle, north transept, west tower and
Three-light Perpendicular windows to south aisle. North transept and east window of
Moulded elliptical headed doorway at east end of aisle and moulded 4-centred with
south doorway. Ashlar porch with marbled 4-centred arch with carved spandrels and
Unbuttressed west tower in 2 stages, with battlements and obelisk pinnacles. Small
one-light bell openings, west bell-opening has Y-tracery. Perpendicular west window
and 2-centred arch west doorway. Slightly projecting north-west stair turret.
Interior: ceiled wagon-roofs with carved ribs and bosses to nave, chancel and south
aisle, transept roof is C19. Four bay arcade with wide 4-centred arches, moulded
monolithic granite columns and moulded capitals. Similar 4-centred arch and piers to
north transept. from south aisle to chancel. C19 and early C20
furnishings. Royal Arms of 1728. Simple stone tub front.
Monuments. Tomb chest in chancel with quatrefoil panels and brass effigy on top of
Thomas Williams (d 1566), Speaker of the House of Commons in 1563 and born at Stowford
Monument to John Prideaux (d 1639) - painted wooden plaque with kneeling figures.
John Prideaux was Rector of Exeter College, Oxford and Bishop of Worcester. He Was
born at Stowford House qv. Brass to John and Agnes Prideaux, the parents of John
Listing NGR: SX6383359475
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings