History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1716 House

A Grade II Listed Building in Linton, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.0962 / 52°5'46"N

Longitude: 0.2751 / 0°16'30"E

OS Eastings: 555939

OS Northings: 246648

OS Grid: TL559466

Mapcode National: GBR MB5.JCV

Mapcode Global: VHHKR.QK8X

Entry Name: 1716 House

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162622

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51963

Location: Linton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Linton

Built-Up Area: Linton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Linton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(South-East Side)

15/149 No. 18 (1716 House)



House, formerly divided into three cottages. Early and late C17 with mantel
beam carved 'Thomas Toft (c.1660) sett et' including structure of medieval
building; date 1716 was formerly inscribed on front elevation when two
cottages were joined at south-west to form L-plan. Timber-framed and
plastered with thatched roofs. Plastered plinth. Red brick ridge stack with
two diagonal shafts, and rear stack. Two storeys, L-plan with cellars.
Three ground floor, and three first floor horizontal sliding sash windows.
Four-panelled door in lobby entry position and fixed light window to right
hand blocking an earlier door. Interior: One truss remains to tie beam
height of earlier building, reused floor joists, stop-chamfered ceiling
beams. Remnant of linen fold panelling recorded by Dr Palmer (d.1939) in
1912. Carved mantel beam to stack built by Thomas Toft, church warden
c.1660; cellar possibly of same date of stone and brick. Sealed mullioned
window in west wall. The property was owned by the Toft family from

R.C.H.M. Report 1951
Millicent and Paris Maps 1600. Pembroke College

Listing NGR: TL5593946648

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.