History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bull House

A Grade II Listed Building in Linton, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.097 / 52°5'49"N

Longitude: 0.2761 / 0°16'33"E

OS Eastings: 556005

OS Northings: 246740

OS Grid: TL560467

Mapcode National: GBR MB5.JM8

Mapcode Global: VHHKR.QKS9

Entry Name: Bull House

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Last Amended: 30 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162658

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51968

Location: Linton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Linton

Built-Up Area: Linton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Linton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hildersham

Listing Text

TL 5446
15/154

LINTON
HIGH STREET (Southeast Side)
Nos. 40 and 42 (Bull House)

(Formerly listed as Nos 40, 42 and 44)

22.11.67 GV
II
House, formerly the Bull Inn, now two dwellings. c.1700. Red brick, painted front and side elevations, timber-framed and plastered gables to rear. Plain tiled roofs. Two storeys with attics and cellars, irregular double pile plan with roof hipped to street and forming three parallel gables to rear. Moulded wooden eaves cornice, band between floors raised over former staircase window in rear elevation and plinth. Ridge stack to left of centre, side stack to right hand and two rear stacks. Symmetrical facade of five 'bays'. Six-panelled door with wooden doorcase, four flush-framed twelve-paned hung sash windows and five similar first floor windows. There were formerly three hipped dormer windows. The Black Bull, recorded in 1694 and where the Turnpike Trustees met in 1767, became one of the first private schools in Linton in 1777.

Palmer, M W The Antiquities of Linton. 1913
Stevens, R L Linton, P.C. Pub. p35 1982
V.C.H. Vol. VI, p83
R.C.H.M. Report 1951
Millicent and Paris Maps. Pembroke College


Listing NGR: TL5600546740

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.