This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5001 / 53°30'0"N
Longitude: -2.0813 / 2°4'52"W
OS Eastings: 394704
OS Northings: 400385
OS Grid: SD947003
Mapcode National: GBR FWXZ.60
Mapcode Global: WHB9K.0962
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Last Amended: 14 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162695
English Heritage Legacy ID: 212659
Location: Tameside, OL6
Electoral Ward/Division: Ashton Hurst
Built-Up Area: Ashton-under-Lyne
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Hurst St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE KING'S ROAD
SD 90 SW (north-west side)
1/11 Church of
St. John the
(Formerly listed as Church
of St John the Evangelist,
Church. 1847-9. By Shellard for the Church Commissioners
with transepts and tower by G. Shaw in 1862. Rock-faced
stone with slate roof. Nave with aisles and transepts.
Almost free-standing south-west tower and a chancel with
organ chamber and side chapel. Gothic revival. Projecting
plinth, continuous sill band and hoodmould. 4-bay aisle and
2-bay transepts with lancet windows, weathered buttresses
and porch in bay 2. 4-light geometrical tracery transept
windows, 3-lancet east window and 2-lancet west window. 2-
bay chancel. Coped gables with cross finials. The clerestory
contains no windows. Bold 3-stage tower has diagonal
weathered buttresses and a circular corner stair turret. It
diminishes in size at each stage, the top stage having
stepped broaches before changing to an octagon to
accommodate the spire. Interior: west gallery with C20
partition below. Quatrefoil piers support double-chamfered
nave arcade. Arch-braced roof trusses. Waggon roof to
chancel. Stained glass and timberwork which includes
elaborate canopied seats in the chancel and a reredos. O.
Whittaker, a local mill owner was the principal benefactor.
W. A. Parry, History of Hurst and Neighbourhood.
Listing NGR: SD9470400385
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings