History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Market Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in St Peter's, Tameside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4892 / 53°29'21"N

Longitude: -2.0925 / 2°5'32"W

OS Eastings: 393962

OS Northings: 399169

OS Grid: SJ939991

Mapcode National: GBR FXT2.SY

Mapcode Global: WHB9J.TKSG

Entry Name: Market Hall

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Last Amended: 14 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162719

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212665

Location: Tameside, OL6

County: Tameside

Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's

Built-Up Area: Ashton-under-Lyne

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Ashton-under-Lyne The Good Shepherd

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Dukinfield

Listing Text

ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE MARKET PLACE
SJ 99 NW (east side)

4/17 Market Hall
(formerly listed
as West Front
and tower of
Market Hall)
12/1/67

G.V. II

Market Hall. Rebuilt in 1867 and enlarged in 1881 and 1930.
Brick with ashlar dressings. Large single-storey rectangular
plan, the principal elevation facing onto the market square.
Total of 19 bays with a central tower, projecting plinth,
impost band and modillion eaves cornice with blocking
course. Arcade of semi-circular lights within arched
recesses with keystones below recessed brick panels. Bays 8
and 14 are slightly advanced and have entrance doors below
the arches. The tower rises 2 stages above the parapet. It
bears a coat of arms, a datestone (A.D. 1867), small arched
lights, polychromatic brick decoration, clock faces within
keyed oculi and a balustered parapet above a cornice. The
left bays and left return were added in 1881 and the extreme
right bays, the right return and the rear were added in
1930. Cast and wrought-iron roof structure on cast-iron
columns. W. Glover, History of Ashton-under-Lyne, 1884.


Listing NGR: SJ9396299169

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.