History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Marys Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8447 / 53°50'40"N

Longitude: -0.4346 / 0°26'4"W

OS Eastings: 503089

OS Northings: 439854

OS Grid: TA030398

Mapcode National: GBR TRDZ.QJ

Mapcode Global: WHGF4.9M9F

Entry Name: St Marys Manor

Listing Date: 1 March 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162722

English Heritage Legacy ID: 167349

Location: Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Beverley

Built-Up Area: Beverley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Beverley St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Beverley

Listing Text


TA 0339 BEVERLEY NORTH BAR WITHIN
(east side)
9/231 St Mary's Manor
1.3.50
GV II
Circa 1815. 2 storeys in painted stucco with wide spreading eaves and
Westmorland slate roof. Chimneys have individual octagonal shafts for each
flue. North wing, painted brick, 1st half of C18. South wing, modern, contains
a good Cl8 panelled room in walnut. East front main block has bowed centre of
3 windows with 1 window each side, all with cornices and flat fluted consoles.
Ground floor windows casements to floor, elsewhere sashes. Double string course
over ground floor. South wing, 1 window wide; north wing, 3 windows wide. West
front, flat centre block, 5 windows wide, 1 ground floor window casement type to
floor with consoles and cornice, remainder have architraves. 1st floor windows
have cornices and flat consoles. Centre tetrastyle Roman Doric porch. 6-panel
door with rectangular ornamental fanlight, and reeded architrave with paterae.
North and south wings as for east front. Interior: good stair with Greek Ionic
colonnaded landing to 1st floor, lantern light and good details; Baroque
wrought iron balustrade, designed by Hawksmoor for Beverley Minster, and bought
from the Minister at the time of the alterations of 1826 by Henry Ellison, the
Vicar of St Mary's, heightened slightly; wrought iron stair balusters of
identical pattern, perhaps copied. Oval dining room with coved ceiling and
alcove behind 2 fluted Ionic columns. One 1st floor room contains early oak
panelling.


Listing NGR: TA0308939854

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.