History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Great Hundridge Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chartridge, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7057 / 51°42'20"N

Longitude: -0.6521 / 0°39'7"W

OS Eastings: 493234

OS Northings: 201628

OS Grid: SP932016

Mapcode National: GBR F5T.3XM

Mapcode Global: VHFS8.ND39

Entry Name: Great Hundridge Manor

Listing Date: 22 December 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162783

English Heritage Legacy ID: 44636

Location: Chartridge, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire, HP16

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Chiltern

Civil Parish: Chartridge

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Great Chesham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Great Missenden

Listing Text

SP 90 SW CHARTRIDGE CHESHAM ROAD
(north side)
Hyde Heath
5/34
Great Hundridge Manor
22.12.58

GV II*

House. Late C17 extended C20. Flint rubble plinth, chequer
brickwork, hipped old tile roof with wood modillion cornice, brick
chimneys. 2 gabled dormers to each side slope. 2-storeys. Front of
seven casement windows all with gauged brick flat arches and wood
mullions and transomes. 2-light except for 1-light windows either
side of door and either side of central first floor window; leaded
glazing. Modern door with rectangular fanlight, pulvinated frieze
and pediment hood on shaped brackets. First floor brick band with
cyma reverse moulding. Rear elevation: 3 wide bays, the 2 outer ones
projecting slightly with hipped old tile roof, central gabled dormer,
3 mullion-and-transome first floor windows with leaded glazing, Modern
halfglazed doors with pediment over and 3-light-casement either side.
Rear wings: On north east 1933 by Clough Williams-Ellis, neo-Georgian,
brick, clay tile roof, 2-storeys, sash windows. On south east,
linking house with Chapel (q.v.) 1950's, red brick, hipped clay tile
roof with wood cornice, mullion-and-transome windows. Interior: (of
original house) Fine late C17 bolection moulded panelling in both front
first floor rooms. Similar panelling in ground floor left hand room
which also has original fireplace flanked by fluted giant pilasters.
Staircase with twisted balusters and panelled dado, three doorcases to
landing with panelling, cornices and keyblocks.

RCHM I p 96 MON 24


Listing NGR: SP9323401628

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.