History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ's Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Bradshaw, Bolton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5949 / 53°35'41"N

Longitude: -2.3822 / 2°22'56"W

OS Eastings: 374798

OS Northings: 410997

OS Grid: SD747109

Mapcode National: GBR CVTW.11

Mapcode Global: WH97P.CWVX

Entry Name: Christ's Church

Listing Date: 19 August 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162799

English Heritage Legacy ID: 210559

Location: Bolton, BL2

County: Bolton

Electoral Ward/Division: Bradshaw

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Bolton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Harwood Christ's Church

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Bolton

Listing Text

SOUTH TURTON STITCH-MI-LANE
SD 71 SW (north west side)
Harwood

5/79 Christ's Church
-
- II

Church. 1840-1. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and
slate roof. 5-bay nave, west tower, south transept; chancel
and flanking vestries. Plain cornices and flat and clasping
buttresses. Round-headed lancets with hood moulds. Tower
of 3 stages has round-headed west entrance with black-letter
inscription, cornice over; paired lancets to south.
Recessed top stage has chamfered angles with octagonal
shafts. Paired round-headed bell openings with stone
louvres. Top cornice and short spire with cross. South
porch, with round window above, has open pediment and round-
headed entrance with inscription. Transept has triplet of
lancets. Short chancel has corbelled cornice, triplet of
lancets and single flanking lancets to vestries under cat-
slide roofs; entrance to south. East bellcote. Interior:
Nave has queen post roof with arch braces and pendants.
West gallery on 4 timber columns, round-headed panelling to
front with corbelled cornice. Stair has column-on-vase
balusters. Relief of arms of Queen Victoria. Open seating
to centre and side enclosed pews which have tip-up seats
(originally for servants). Corona Lucis with metal flame
forms and leaves. East end now choir; altar formed from
vestment chest dated 1561 probably from Nuremburg; 2 panels
from Book of Tobit and 3 figures. Organ to north from
Edgeware in Victorian case. Lectern possibly C17, Spanish,
octagonal shaft with finial and upright eagle. Pulpit dated
1660, from Chapel Royal, London, fielded panels and black-
letter inscription. 2 choir stalls with misericords and
desk, C17 English. Transept has Lomax chapel, now vestry,
roof as nave with angel corbels; C20 screen has 4 C17
Flemish panels of life of Christ. Chancel arch has zig-zag
moulding. Arcading to 3 sides with Creed, Commandments and
Lord's Prayer. Open arcading to side and open lunettes,
tunnel vault. Memorial to John Lomax, died 1827, rococo
cartouche.


Listing NGR: SD7471610884

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.