History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Clement

A Grade II Listed Building in Urmston, Trafford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4451 / 53°26'42"N

Longitude: -2.3505 / 2°21'1"W

OS Eastings: 376816

OS Northings: 394318

OS Grid: SJ768943

Mapcode National: GBR DX0L.XR

Mapcode Global: WH98G.VNWR

Entry Name: Church of St Clement

Listing Date: 30 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162878

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212994

Location: Trafford, M41

County: Trafford

Electoral Ward/Division: Urmston

Built-Up Area: Urmston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Urmston St Clement

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Urmston

Listing Text

URMSTON MANOR AVENUE
SJ 79 SE
(south side)
(SJ 7694 SE)
5/32 Church of
- St. Clement
- II
Church. 1868. By J. Medland Taylor, north aisle 1873-5 by
J. and H. Taylor, lengthened to west 1887-8 by Whittenby and
Mather and tower added 1899-1903. Rock-faced stone with
slate roof. Nave and aisles with chancel, vestrys and north-
west tower. Gothic Revival. 7-bay south aisle with weathered
buttresses, 2-light windows, a lean-to roof and a timber-
framed porch. North aisle, below tall pitched roof, has
alternating 2 and 3-light windows and weathered and gableted
buttresses. Square pinnacles at corners. The east end of the
north aisle has a circular window divided by vertical stone
mullions in an unexpected manner. An ornate decorative
octagonal bell turret with conical roof was partly obscured
by the later north aisle. It rises above the pulpit. Short
chancel with 3-light east window. 4-stage tower with angled
weathered and gableted buttresses, north doorway, 2-light
windows, clock-faces in front of a blind arcade, 3 cusped
lancet belfry openings on each side and a coped parapet with
corner pinnacles. 2-light transomed west window flanked by
lancet windows. Interior: double-chamfered nave arcade
arches, considerably taller on the north side, on circular
and octagonal columns only one of which has a carved
capital. Cusped chancel arch. Scissor-braced roof trusses.
Cusped arched canopy and columned niche to left of carved
timber pulpit. Stalls, pews and carved reredos. Stone bowl
font. Stained glass, some by Shrigley and Hunt. The church
has many of the unusual characteristics and qualities for
which the Taylors are renowned.


Listing NGR: SJ7681694318

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.