This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4874 / 53°29'14"N
Longitude: -2.0579 / 2°3'28"W
OS Eastings: 396255
OS Northings: 398966
OS Grid: SJ962989
Mapcode National: GBR GX23.8L
Mapcode Global: WHB9K.CL9V
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 6 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1162957
English Heritage Legacy ID: 212602
Location: Tameside, SK15
Electoral Ward/Division: Stalybridge North
Built-Up Area: Stalybridge
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Stalybridge St George
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SJ 99 NE STALYBRIDGE CHURCH WALK
4/141 Church of
- St. George
Church. 1838-40. By Sharpe for the Church Commissioners.
Watershot stone with slate roof. Nave and aisles under one
roof with small chancel and west tower (galleries have been
removed and the rear partitioned off). Projecting plinth
and coped gables and eaves. 7-bay aisles have thin
weathered buttresses (set back at corners), a gallery door
in the west bay (now blocked) and lancet shaped windows but
with 2 lights and geometrical tracery - an early example of
the revival of this type. l-bay chancel with 4-light east
window. 3-stage tower has octagonal corner piers which are
buttressed and rise as pinnacles, windows (as above) to the
second and third stage and a clock apperture in stage two.
Interior: chamfered nave arcade on octagonal columns with
moulded heads. Coved ceiling. Alabaster font in the form of
an angel holding a shell. Organ by Renn. Stained glass by
Lightfoot. Carved timber pulpit, reredos and organ casing.
Listing NGR: SJ9625598966
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings