History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

No. 45, NORTH BAR WITHOUT

A Grade II Listed Building in Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8463 / 53°50'46"N

Longitude: -0.4385 / 0°26'18"W

OS Eastings: 502826

OS Northings: 440025

OS Grid: TA028400

Mapcode National: GBR TRCY.VY

Mapcode Global: WHGF4.7LF6

Entry Name: No. 45, NORTH BAR WITHOUT

Listing Date: 30 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162966

English Heritage Legacy ID: 167370

Location: Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Beverley

Built-Up Area: Beverley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Beverley St Mary

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Beverley

Listing Text


TA 0240 BEVERLEY NORTH BAR WITHOUT
(west side)
5/251 No 45
GV II
Dated 1894, architect, J E Elwell. 2 storeys and attics, applied straight
studded half timber above brick. Pantile roof with 3 dormers, the 2
outer gabled. Applied timber braces to sides. Coved cornice with stucco
'honesty' flowers and tendrils in a continuous scroll. Dated to centre 'December
1894'. 2 rectangular oriels, 1 of 4 and 1 of 6 lights and side lights on
brackets with carved figures. Centre window of 4 lights, the upper with glazing
bars. The ground floor has 2 windows of 4 and 6 lights, the upper with glazing
bars, under carved wood bands. Wood doorway with carved panel above flanked by
beasts, with date numerals. The panel is carved with a scene from 'The Cloister
and the Hearth' and depicts the carving of toy wood horses with the legend 'We
like to go as near nature as we can for 6 pence'. The interior shows the
influence of the Queen Anne revival, with mixed early and late Georgian and
Regency motifs.


Listing NGR: TA0282640025

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.