History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Luke

A Grade II Listed Building in Golborne and Lowton West, Wigan

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4754 / 53°28'31"N

Longitude: -2.5804 / 2°34'49"W

OS Eastings: 361571

OS Northings: 397784

OS Grid: SJ615977

Mapcode National: GBR BXF7.4W

Mapcode Global: WH985.BXG2

Entry Name: Church of St. Luke

Listing Date: 15 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1162972

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213486

Location: Wigan, WA3

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Golborne and Lowton West

Built-Up Area: Golborne

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Lowton St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Lowton

Listing Text

GOLBORNE SLAG LANE
SJ 69 NW
(south-east side)
5/18 Church of
15/11/66 St. Luke
G.V. II
Church. Nave 1732, transepts 1771, alterations 1813, chancel
probably of 1856 and tower 1862. Flemish bond brick with
slate roof. 3-bay nave with rusticated quoins and round-
headed windows with keystones, impost blocks, Y-tracery and
raised brick panels below the sills. l-bay transepts with
similar windows, the south with two lunette windows.
Elementary Venetian windows to each side of chancel which
has a C20 vestry added to north. The west tower replaces the
original cupola and conceals the original pedimented door
surround which is dated 1732; It has 4 stages,
castellations, diagonal buttresses and uses Romanesque
detailing to the round-arched door and window openings. The
clock face is dated 1862. Interior: 2 of the 3 original
galleries have been removed along with the box pews and C18
font. The remaining gallery is panelled, has dentilled
enrichment and supports the organ loft. Fittings are
generally C20. Stained glass. Original studded oak door.
Roof structure replaced in C19. Romanesque enrichment to
chancel arch.


Listing NGR: SJ6157197784

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.