History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Hulton, Salford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.531 / 53°31'51"N

Longitude: -2.426 / 2°25'33"W

OS Eastings: 371862

OS Northings: 403895

OS Grid: SD718038

Mapcode National: GBR CWHL.LZ

Mapcode Global: WH981.PHZY

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 29 July 1966

Last Amended: 2 September 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163015

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212002

Location: Salford, M38

County: Salford

Electoral Ward/Division: Little Hulton

Built-Up Area: Bolton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Peel St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Ellenbrook

Listing Text

WORSLEY MANCHESTER ROAD
SD 70 SW
(south side)
1/44 Church of
St. Paul
(formerly listed
29/7/66 under Peel Lane)
G.V. II

Church. 1874-6 with tower added in 1897. By J. M.and H.
Taylor. Rock-faced stone with slate roof. Nave, aisles,
chancel and west tower. Gothic Revival with Decorated
details. 4-bay aisles stop short of the nave at the west and
are roofed separately. They have a projecting plinth and a
continuous sill band. Each bay has a weathered buttress and
two 2-light windows. Gabled porch to north, the sill band of
the aisle continuing as a transom through cusped windows on
either side. The 2-bay chancel is unexpectedly higher than
the nave-and has a bellcote at the junction and a 5-light
east window. Imposing 4-stage tower with angled weathered
buttresses, west door, 4-light west window, paired 2-light
belfry openings and a broach spire set back behind a
parapet. Interior: double-chamfered nave arcade on short
circular columns with moulded and enriched capitals. Hammer-
beam roof trusses spring from carved corbels. Wide chancel
arch on quatrefoil columns. Pierced stone chancel rail
which cleverly incorporates the pulpit and lectern both of
which use coloured stone details. Carved reredos. C18
baluster font from former church. Stained glass some by
Wrigley and Hunt. Timber fittings. Several C18 and C19 wall
plaques. The church incorporates many of the architects'
characteristic details to good effect.


Listing NGR: SD7186203895

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.