History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Darwen, Blackburn with Darwen

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6956 / 53°41'43"N

Longitude: -2.4644 / 2°27'51"W

OS Eastings: 369432

OS Northings: 422223

OS Grid: SD694222

Mapcode National: GBR CT7P.8Z

Mapcode Global: WH978.3CQR

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 27 September 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163042

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184687

Location: Blackburn with Darwen, BB3

County: Blackburn with Darwen

Civil Parish: Darwen

Built-Up Area: Darwen

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Darwen St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Darwen

Listing Text

SD 62 SE DARWEN CHURCH STRESS

4/16 Church of St. Peter
-
GV II*

Church, formerly dedicated to the Holy Trinity, 1827-9, by
Rickman and Hutchinson. Fine sandstone, slate roof of low pitch,
hipped over east end. West tower, nave and sanctuary in one, north
and south aisles with porches. Perpendicular style. Three-stage
tower has set-back buttresses with scrolled weatherings, short
extensions to 1st stage on north and south sides with diagonal
buttresses, a diagonal stair turret piercing the buttress on the
north west corner, moulded string courses on 2 levels, an arched
west doorway under a square hoodmould, above this a flat-headed
cinquefoil window recessed with hollowed surround, arched 5-light
belfry louvres with Perpendicular tracery and similarly hollowed
surrounds, and battlements with 8 flat-topped pinnacles. Very regular
7-bay nave and aisles, both with plain parapets, windows with hoodmoulds:
clerestory has flat-headed windows of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights; aisles
have buttresses with scrolled weatherings, transomed windows of 2
cinquefoil lights with Perpendicular tracery in the Tudor-arched heads,
and in the 2nd bay embattled gabled porches (that on the north side with
side entrance). Three-sided apsidal east end has 3 windows like those
of the aisles. Vestry at east end of north side. Interior: 7-bay
Perpendicular arcade carried on piers with cyma moulding continued in
the arches. Slim shafts on the nave side of the columns formerly
continued in plaster through the clerestory to corbels of beams of flat
ceiling, but all interior plaster now removed; galleries on three sides,
ground floor at west end now partitioned (with panelling formerly in
church of St. George). Central chancel window by Shrigley and Hunt 1896.
War Memorial reredos and tablet 1923.


Listing NGR: SD6943222223


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 29 August 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.