History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Chads House

A Grade II Listed Building in Saddleworth, Oldham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5481 / 53°32'53"N

Longitude: -2.0064 / 2°0'22"W

OS Eastings: 399675

OS Northings: 405718

OS Grid: SD996057

Mapcode National: GBR GWFD.FT

Mapcode Global: WHB9D.42VS

Entry Name: St Chads House

Listing Date: 3 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163181

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212144

Location: Saddleworth, Oldham, OL3

County: Oldham

Civil Parish: Saddleworth

Built-Up Area: Uppermill

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Saddleworth St Chad

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Saddleworth

Listing Text

SADDLEWORTH HIGH STREET
SD 9905 (west side)
Uppermill
8/130 St. Chad's
- House
G.V. II
House, now library. 1798 with facade of mid C19 and with C20
additions. Facade by G. Shaw. Watershot hammer-dressed stone
with ashlar facade and graduated stone slate roof. Single-
depth 2-storey plan with a central staircase and total of 6
bays. Symmetrical elevation with projecting plinth, raised
corners, sill bands and eaves cornice. Central doorway has
moulded surround with ivy motifs, dropped tracery, a carved
overpanel and a moulded hood. The door has linen-fold
panelling and pierced upper panels. Two mullion and transom
windows on either side have hoodmoulds with carved stops.
Five 2-light first floor windows and 5 gables above the
cornice the end 2 having coped gables, finials and cusped
lights. Bay 6 is lower, has raised quoins, sill bands,
corbelled eaves cornice and castellations. 5-light mullion
and transom ground floor window, 4-light double-chamfered
mullion window on first floor. 5 and 2-light mullion windows
to rear and sides, some recessed flat-faced, some double-
chamfered cavetto-moulded. Dated door lintels include "ISMS
1685" (reused) and one referring to a former "wood house"
and "GS 1593". Interior has some fine early C17 timberwork
and a C19 staircase with acorn drops and inter-twined
balusters. George Shaw - Architect (1810-1876) designed
many local churches and houses. He lived at (and largely
rebuilt) St. Chad's House, and accumulated or created
architectural antiquities many of which survive in the
garden.


Listing NGR: SD9967505718

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.