This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7117 / 53°42'42"N
Longitude: -2.2043 / 2°12'15"W
OS Eastings: 386615
OS Northings: 423941
OS Grid: SD866239
Mapcode National: GBR FT1J.L5
Mapcode Global: WHB8B.3YMX
Entry Name: Broadclough Hall
Listing Date: 30 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163193
English Heritage Legacy ID: 185593
Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, OL13
Electoral Ward/Division: Greensclough
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
SD 82 SE BACUP BURNLEY RDAD
7/16 Broadclough Hall
House, early C19, incorporating some earlier fabric. Freestone,
low hipped slate roof with 2 receding ridges, various chimneys behind
the main ridge. Square plan 5x5 bays, 2 storeys in classical style.
Symmetrical: pedimented 3-bay centre breaks forward slightly and has a
wide porch of Tuscan columns with triglyphed frieze and prominent
cornice, covering a wide segmental doorway with margin lights and slim
Tuscan pilasters; otherwise, very regular 5-window facade, all windows
sashed without glazing bars, the upper leaf of the sash smaller than
the lower. Return walls similar, but some windows are blind, and left
return wall has a false porch, rectangular with panelled sides, which
encloses within a chamfered Tudor-arched doorway with a moulded cornice
and raised lettering on the lintel: "IAW : 1666". Rear wall has a
2-stage stairlight over a doorway, and abutting the right hand half a
2-storey workshop with 6-light flush mullion window on each floor
(possibly C18, preceding the house). Interior: very large double-pile
entrance hall with fluted columns distyle in antis, giving onto open well
staircase with cantilevered stone stairs, looped iron balusters and
mahogany handrail, illuminated by a domed skylight; moulded plaster
friezes and modillioned cornices, mahogany doors and fireplace surrounds.
History: home of James Whittaker, proprietor of Meadows Mill c. 1830-50.
Listing NGR: SD8661523941
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings