This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.713 / 53°42'46"N
Longitude: -2.2024 / 2°12'8"W
OS Eastings: 386739
OS Northings: 424082
OS Grid: SD867240
Mapcode National: GBR FT1H.ZQ
Mapcode Global: WHB8B.4XHX
Entry Name: Broadclough Mill
Listing Date: 30 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163200
English Heritage Legacy ID: 185595
Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, OL13
Electoral Ward/Division: Greensclough
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
SD 82 SE BACUP BURNLEY ROAD
7/18 Broadclough Mill
Woollen mill, early C19, enlarged 1835 and converted to cotton spinning,
dated 1835 on keystone of door; now in multiple occupation by various
trades. Coursed sandstone, slate roofs, brick chimney to rear.
Rectangular 3-storey block 7 windows long, with 2-storey engine house
attached at left end (gabled to road) square brick chimney with steel
tie-bands to the rear of this. Plain structure: rectangular windows with
stone sills and altered glazing; at left end of main block a round-headed
doorway with plain stone jambs and imposts, large voussoirs and
projecting keystone with incised lettering J + L (= John Lord); fanlight
with white glass lettering (c.1930) " DW & S (= David Whitehead & Sons).
Gable wall of engine house has depressed-arch wagon entrance, one
window each side and 3 larger windows above. Interior: 7 bays, 2 rows of
iron columns supporting wooden beams. History: water-powered woollen mill
by 1824, steam powered by 1830 (32h.p. engine), used for cotton spinning
by 1840's; converted to multiple occupation 1970.
Listing NGR: SD8673924082
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings