History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Martinside Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Bretherton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6769 / 53°40'36"N

Longitude: -2.7951 / 2°47'42"W

OS Eastings: 347575

OS Northings: 420344

OS Grid: SD475203

Mapcode National: GBR 8TXX.NN

Mapcode Global: WH85Z.1V82

Entry Name: Martinside Farmhouse

Listing Date: 17 April 1967

Last Amended: 30 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163273

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184283

Location: Bretherton, Chorley, Lancashire, PR26

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

Civil Parish: Bretherton

Built-Up Area: Bretherton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Bretherton St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Croston

Listing Text

BRETHERTON SOUTH ROAD
SD 42 SE
3/32 Martinside Farmhouse (Formerly
17.4.67 listed as Martindale's
Farmhouse)
- II

Farmhouse now house. Dated 1718 but probably earlier, altered. Handmade
brick with some diaper in blue brick headers, stone slate roof. L-plan:
2-bay main range with projecting porch-wing at right hand side. Two storeys;
brick plinth; entrance in re-entrant wall of wing by doorway with roll-moulded
timber doorcase with cambered lintel, a 2-light -sliding sash under the eaves
above; gable of wing has a segmental-headed 3-light sliding sash offset to
right at ground floor, a saw-tooth band over this, at 1st floor a diaper band
making 3 large hearts, an inserted window above breaking into the right hand
end of this feature, and in the gable a datestone lettered in relief H
H E;
1718
return wall has triangular-headed peepwindow. Main range has 3 small
horizontal-rectangular windows at ground floor, and at 1st floor 2 low 4-light
casements on different levels, that on the left with a brick label continued
to right with 2 step-ups, the 2nd over a small triangular-headed window.
Right gable wall has inter alia a small 1st floor window of 2 arched lights
with a brick mullion and a label; rear has one horizontal rectangular window
at ground floor and 3 above, all with run-out heads and sills, but is
otherwise altered. Interior: altered by removal of partition walls, but
retains very large inglenook bressummer and 2 longitudinal beams with stopped
1/4-round moulding, and in the former service end stop-chamfered beams on a
lower level.


Listing NGR: SD4757520344

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.