History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. George

A Grade II Listed Building in Tyldesley, Wigan

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5135 / 53°30'48"N

Longitude: -2.4714 / 2°28'16"W

OS Eastings: 368838

OS Northings: 401967

OS Grid: SD688019

Mapcode National: GBR CW5T.R7

Mapcode Global: WH981.0YFD

Entry Name: Church of St. George

Listing Date: 18 July 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163277

English Heritage Legacy ID: 213516

Location: Wigan, M29

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Tyldesley

Built-Up Area: Tyldesley

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Tyldesley St George

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Astley

Listing Text

TYLDESLEY ELLIOTT STREET
SD 60 SE
(south side)
2/47 Church of
18/7/66 St. George
G.V. II
Church. 1821-4. By Sir Robert Smirke for the Church
Commissioners. Chancel extended in 1887. Dressed stone. Nave
with clerestory and aisles; west tower, chancel and vestry.
Gothick. 7-bay nave and aisles with projecting plinth, coped
parapet and weathered buttresses which are set diagonally at
the corners and have crocketed pinnacles. Each bay has a 2-
light aisle window with plain tracery and a clerestory
window with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds. Porch in westernmost
bay. The chancel, which forms a continuation of the nave,
has a 2-light window,and a 3-light east window all with
Geometrical tracery. 3-stage tower with weathered diagonal
buttresses, west door, second stage lancet window, and 3
lancet belfry openings. An octagonal spire is set behind a
parapet and crocketed corner pinnacles from which spring
flying buttresses. Interior: Double-chamfered nave arcade
arches on octagonal columns. Cambered roof structure with
timber ceiling. West gallery. Timber fittings include
screens, pews, stalls, pulpit etc. James Mort wall memorial,
1855, by Garner of Manchester.


Listing NGR: SD6883801967

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.