History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Steelands Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Grindleton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.915 / 53°54'53"N

Longitude: -2.3718 / 2°22'18"W

OS Eastings: 375677

OS Northings: 446597

OS Grid: SD756465

Mapcode National: GBR CRW5.9B

Mapcode Global: WH964.JVTL

Entry Name: Steelands Farmhouse

Listing Date: 16 November 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163521

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183268

Location: Grindleton, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Grindleton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Grindleton St Ambrose

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Grindleton

Listing Text

GRINDLETON BACK BROW
SD 74 NE

7/96 Steelands Farmhouse
16.11.1954
-
II

House, probably late C18th with probable earlier remains and later
alterations. Rendered rubble with sandstone dressings and slate roof.
3 storeys, with cross-wing at east side of 2 storeys with attic. The
south front of the main range is of 2 bays and has tripartite windows
with plain stone surrounds and square mullions, a door between the bays
with plain stone surround and cornice hood, and stone gutter brackets.
The cross-wing, at the right, is of one bay and has triple sashed
windows with no glazing bars or mullions,within cyma-moulded architraves
with false keystones. The attic is lit by an oculus. The gable has a
coping with kneelers. In the centre of the cross-wing is a chimney with
3 diagonal caps. The left-hand gable of the house has a projecting
stack with 2 diagonal caps. The north wall of the cross-wing has windows
with plain stone surrounds. Over the 1st floor window is re-set part of
the head of a cross, probably medieval. The west wall, in the angle
with the main house, has a lead rainwater hopper inscribed 'RHS 1776'.
The interior was not fully inspected, but contains a stair of late
C18th type with open string, ramped handrails, and turned balusters and
newels.


Listing NGR: SD7567746597

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.