This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7032 / 53°42'11"N
Longitude: -2.3241 / 2°19'26"W
OS Eastings: 378700
OS Northings: 423024
OS Grid: SD787230
Mapcode National: GBR DT6M.M7
Mapcode Global: WH97B.85JW
Entry Name: Methodist Church
Listing Date: 30 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163587
English Heritage Legacy ID: 185688
Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, BB4
Electoral Ward/Division: Greenfield
Built-Up Area: Haslingden
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Laneside St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 72 SE HASLINGDEN MANCHESTER ROAD
5/110 Methodist Church
Methodist church, 1857, altered and enlarged 1883. Rock-faced sandstone with
ashlar dressings, slate roof with ridge ventilator. Nave with chancel and
transepts, the north transept linked to a gabled crosswing (Memorial Hall).
In Gothic style, with Perpendicular tracery in windows and pierced parapet.
East gable to road has diagonal buttresses, 1st floor band, crocketed apex
pinnacles, large moulded Perpendicular-style doorway in the centre, with large
5-light transomed window above, flanking these 2 octagonal turrets (square at
ground floor level) with embattled bellcotes above the parapet finished with
crocketed pinnacles; a smaller door and 1st floor window in the outer bays.
Five-bay side walls have gableted buttresses with weatherings, 2-light
transomed windows. Chancel and transepts in matching style, with large
5-light west window to chancel. Interior: 3-sided gallery with pierced
Gothic-style front, carried on octagonal iron columns with panelled faces and
moulded caps (west end of gallery now enclosed by glazed screen); chancel,
added in 1883, has moulded arch with ball-flower ornament, marble reredos
screen arcade, carved wooden organ case: these and other furnishings
(including screen now missing) mostly donated 1885 by family of James Stott of
Sykeside House, Rawtenstall Road (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SD7870023024
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings