History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Chatburn, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8942 / 53°53'38"N

Longitude: -2.3516 / 2°21'5"W

OS Eastings: 376992

OS Northings: 444277

OS Grid: SD769442

Mapcode National: GBR DR0D.PS

Mapcode Global: WH96B.VDD0

Entry Name: Christ Church

Listing Date: 27 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163617

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183324

Location: Chatburn, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Chatburn

Built-Up Area: Chatburn

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Chatburn Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Sawley

Listing Text

SD 74 SE CHATBURN SAWLEY ROAD

7/5 Christ Church
-
- II

Church, 1838, by Edmund Sharpe, with aisles and chancel added 1882 by
F. Robinson (Pevsner). Squared limestone with sandstone ashlar dressings,
and slate roof. Romanesque style, with additions in keeping. Comprises
a west tower with spire, a nave with south porch, 3 transeptal gables on
north and south sides forming aisles, and a lower chancel with semi-
circular apse. The tower is of 3 stages broached to a spire of sandstone
ashlar. The lower stage has 2 blank arches on each side, with 2 round-
headed windows on the west side. The upper stages each have 2 similar
openings on each side, separated by pilaster strips and with Lombard
friezes. The bays of the main church are separated by pilaster strips
and have Lombard friezes. The nave, of 2 bays on the north side and with
one bay to the west of the porch on the south side, has tall windows
with splayed limestone reveals and round heads. Each aisle bay has
similar windows, paired with a single pierced quatrefoil above and under
a semi-circular relieving arch. A plaque in the wall of the apse records
that the chancel was built in memory of Robert Ingram, d.1879.
Interior. The 3-bay nave arcades have semi-circular arches, banded round
columns, and foliated capitals and responds. The moulded round chancel
arch is carried on short corbelled shafts with foliated capitals. Below
are piers with angle shafts, from which spring flanking arches opening
into the organ chamber and the south chapel. An inscribed band in the
south aisle wall records that the church was enlarged in 1882. At the
west end is a gallery with timber front. The roof is carried on arch-
braced trusses. The windows contain glass of various late C19th dates.


Listing NGR: SD7699244277

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.