This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5776 / 53°34'39"N
Longitude: -2.0206 / 2°1'14"W
OS Eastings: 398730
OS Northings: 409001
OS Grid: SD987090
Mapcode National: GBR GWB2.B8
Mapcode Global: WHB95.XBYP
Entry Name: Lower Grange
Listing Date: 3 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163660
English Heritage Legacy ID: 212221
Location: Saddleworth, Oldham, OL3
Civil Parish: Saddleworth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Friarmere St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SADDLEWORTH MILLCROFT LANE
SD 90 NE (south side)
House. Mid C17 with alterations of C19. Squared rubble with
a graduated stone slate roof. 2-unit plan with two storeys.
Quoins. Door inserted into double-chamfered cavetto-moulded
window has similar 2-light window to right and an arched
light with enriched lintel to left. Similar blind arched
light to first floor; a 3 and 2-light recessed flat-faced
mullion window of late C18 date and a 2-light double-
chamfered cavetto-moulded mullion window. Gable entrance,
now blocked, with chamfered surround and obtuse-angled
lintel. Gable chimney stack. The 4-bay rear is largely of
C19 and includes a round-headed door surround. The interior
retains a full-height wattle and daub timber-framed partition
with an ogee-shaped door lintel. Chamfered principal beams
and an C18 fire-place with rosette motif and moulded hood.
The timber-framed screen is a rare survival of the timber-
framed tradition in Saddleworth. A date stone on an adjoining
wing (now demolished) read "ISMS 1659".
Listing NGR: SD9873009001
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings