History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bulstrode Park (Worldwide Evangelization Crusade Headquarters)

A Grade II Listed Building in Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5854 / 51°35'7"N

Longitude: -0.5783 / 0°34'41"W

OS Eastings: 498598

OS Northings: 188347

OS Grid: SU985883

Mapcode National: GBR F78.JML

Mapcode Global: VHFSW.XFN0

Entry Name: Bulstrode Park (Worldwide Evangelization Crusade Headquarters)

Listing Date: 24 April 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163851

English Heritage Legacy ID: 44085

Location: Gerrards Cross, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire, SL9

County: Buckinghamshire

District: South Bucks

Civil Parish: Gerrards Cross

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Gerrard's Cross and Fulmer

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Chalfont Saint Peter

Listing Text

SU 98 NE GERRARDS CROSS BULSTRODE PARK
(Oxford Road)
4/482
Bulstrode Park (World-
wide Evangelization
- Crusade Headquarters)

- II

Original house built 1676-85 by Judge Jeffries. The present house by Benjamin
Ferrey, 1860-2, for the 12th Duke of Somerset. Red brick with some diaperwork
and stone dressings; slate roof. Two and 3 storeys. Entrance (N) facade:
Battlemented tower porch with a tall oriel window and a pyramidal roof flanked
by gabled bays, 3 on the left end 2 on the right. Forward of the extreme left
gable and with a 2-storeyed pyramidal capped polgonal turret in the corner is a
gabled 2-storey 4-bay block and, to the left of this again, is another gabled
one-storey 2-bay block. Forward of this yet again is the west side of the Outer
Court, entered through a Gothic arch with ducal crest in the gable and flanked
by railings. The other 3 sides of this court have an arcade of equal EE piers
with shaft rings. At the centre of the east side is a block with 2 gables and a
little turret between them. Against the roof of the north side a little pointed
polygonal turret. The south side of the Outer Court has a central low gabled
block with a little pointed polygonal turret and, on the right, a clock turret
with bell above. Through this block access to the Inner Court, a pictorially
less lively composition in whose east range, however, there is perhaps something
of the earlier building. Garden(s) facade: with a polygonal pointed capped
turret on the left and then 7 bays of which Nos 1, 4 and 7 are gabled. At
ground level a 6-bay veranda with coupled spirally-fluted columns each with 2
shaft rings. Interiors much remodelled in a neo-Georgian way by F C Eden in
late C19/early C20, but the principal staircase of wood is original as is the
vaulted and glazed hall with its iron railings and clusters of 4 twisted columns
with east-east capitals and shaft rings.


Listing NGR: SU9859888347

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.