History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Willow Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Caton-with-Littledale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0739 / 54°4'25"N

Longitude: -2.7198 / 2°43'11"W

OS Eastings: 352999

OS Northings: 464453

OS Grid: SD529644

Mapcode National: GBR 9PFB.ZD

Mapcode Global: WH842.6V4S

Entry Name: Willow Mill

Listing Date: 7 March 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163985

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182104

Location: Caton-with-Littledale, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Caton-with-Littledale

Built-Up Area: Caton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Caton with Littledale

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Claughton

Listing Text

SD 56 SW CATON-WITH-LITTLEDALE COPY LANE

5/31 Willow Mill
-

- II

Mill, now used as factory and warehouse. Built as corn mill shortly before
1790, extended and converted into cotton mill prior to 1795. Sandstone rubble
with asbestos sheet roof replacing stone slate. L-plan. 3 storeys with
attic. Earliest part, at east, slightly higher. Against its north wall is a
chimney of square plan. To its right are 4 bays having openings with plain
stone surrounds. 2 second floor windows are blocked, as are those on the
ground floor. To the left of the chimney are openings with plain reveals,
mostly blocked: a window remains on both the ground and 1st floors. On the
ground floor is a modern door with plain reveals. Adjoining to the right are
the larger additions, having openings with plain reveals, many now blocked.
On the ground floor all are blocked except for a door at the right adjoining
the 2-storey former office extension. On the 1st floor are 5 windows, with a
blocked loading door between nos. 4 and 5. On the 2nd floor are 8 windows, 4
blocked. The wing facing west is of 10 bays. On the ground floor 8 windows
remain, and a door at the left. On the 1st floor 5 windows remain, with a
door in the 2nd bay. On the 2nd floor only the door in the 2nd bay remains.
Towards the left, where the 2 roof ridges meet, is an open timber cupola.
Interior said to have wooden floors supported by cast iron pillars and wooden
beams. Built into the framework of the roof below the ridge there is said to
be a long line shaft, used when the building was a bobbin mill, from 1861
until 1973. Price, J.W.A. & Trippier, I, "The Willow Mill, Caton". Contrebis
2, 1974, pp 44-48.


Listing NGR: SD5299964453

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.