History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gate Piers and Wall About 50 Metres West of the Manor Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Lewtrenchard, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6539 / 50°39'14"N

Longitude: -4.1833 / 4°11'0"W

OS Eastings: 245757

OS Northings: 86076

OS Grid: SX457860

Mapcode National: GBR NT.859L

Mapcode Global: FRA 274B.S32

Entry Name: Gate Piers and Wall About 50 Metres West of the Manor Hotel

Listing Date: 7 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163993

English Heritage Legacy ID: 92359

Location: Lewtrenchard, West Devon, Devon, EX20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Lewtrenchard

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Thrushelton

Listing Text

SX 48 NE LEW TRENCHARD LEW TRENCHARD

4/113 Gate piers and wall about 50m
- west of the Manor Hotel

GV II

Wall and gate piers at the entrance to Lew house (now the Manor Hotel). Late C19,
designed by Sabine Baring-Gould for himself. Dressed stone walls with granite
dressings and granite ashlar gate piers. Curved walls with granite coping and
granite lacing above the plinth terminate in square section stone rubble piers to
north and south with granite pinnacles with ogee finials. The ashlar gate piers are
of a similar design with taller moulded finials to the pinnacles. Fixed to the west
side of the wall is a French road sign probably collected by Baring-Gould. Sabine
Baring-Gould (1834-1924) was both a squire and parson at Lew Trenchard from 1881
until his death. He was High Churchman, antiquarian, and prolific author of fiction
and theological works. He rebuilt Lew House in the late C19 and completely restored
the church of St Peter.


Listing NGR: SX4575586074

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.