This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.076 / 54°4'33"N
Longitude: -2.7672 / 2°46'2"W
OS Eastings: 349896
OS Northings: 464722
OS Grid: SD498647
Mapcode National: GBR 9P39.PM
Mapcode Global: WH841.GTH4
Entry Name: Church of St. Wilfrid
Listing Date: 4 October 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164098
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181842
Location: Halton-with-Aughton, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2
Civil Parish: Halton-with-Aughton
Built-Up Area: Halton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Halton St Wilfrid
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 49 64 NE HALTON-WITH-AUGHTON CHURCH BROW
16/78 Church of St. Wilfrid
4. 10. 1967
Church. 1876-7 by Paley and Austin with surviving west tower said to be
1597 (Pevsner). Sandstone rubble with applied timber framing to the upper
storey of the porch and red tile roof. Comprises a nave, with a north aisle
under a pitched roof, and a lower chancel. Window tracery of several
descriptions, mostly curvilinear. 3-stage tower, battlemented with finials.
All tower windows and openings have hood moulds and 4-centred heads to the
lights. Each face has a 2-light bell opening. The south wall has a one-
light window on the 1st and 2nd floors. The west wall has a C19th doorway
with a 2-light window above and a one-light window above that. The north wall
has a stair turret. Interior. 4 bays to nave and aisles, 2 to chancel, with
an organ in the north chancel aisle. The roof is open, the nave having collars
and soulaces to the rafters, and 2 king post trusses with moulded ties, heavy
collars, and braces. Woodwork in keeping, including pulpit, baptistry screen
and font cover. Painted arms of George III from Georgian church. Fragments
of crosses under the tower (q.v. cross in churchyard). 2 fragments of medieval
grave covers and 2 fragments of pillar capitals with spiral design built into
the wall of the porch. Good-quality glass of various saints, c.1880, in the
south nave windows, with the story of Christ's life in the east window.
Listing NGR: SD4989664722
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings