History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Rossendale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7013 / 53°42'4"N

Longitude: -2.2878 / 2°17'16"W

OS Eastings: 381096

OS Northings: 422802

OS Grid: SD810228

Mapcode National: GBR DTGM.HX

Mapcode Global: WH97B.T7RB

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 7 June 1971

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164181

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185808

Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, BB4

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale

Town: Rossendale

Electoral Ward/Division: Longholme

Built-Up Area: Rawtenstall

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Rawtenstall St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Stubbins

Listing Text

SD 82 SW RAWTENSTALL ST. MARY'S WAY

14/229 Church of St. Mary
7.6.1971
GV II


Church, 1829 (Pevsner), dated 1837 and 1881 on tower (probably referring to
refacing of west end in 1881 when tower was built). Sandstone blocks, slate
roof. Single vessel in Early English style, with south-west tower, short
chancel. Four stage tower forms open-arcaded porch, has pilastered corners,
polygonal stair turret at the inner east corner rising to a lantern above the
battlements, 3 stepped lancets at 2nd stage, tall coupled belfry louvres at
3rd stage, clock faces at the top level flanked by attached diagonal shafts
which form little pinnacles above the battlements, this level also decorated
with some grotesques. Buttressed nave has tall coupled lancets; chancel has 3
stepped lancets; west end is more elaborate and tripartite, divided by
pilasters which finish as pinnacles with a central gableted doorway flanked by
single-light windows and above these a plate-traceried 3-light window flanked
by lancets, the outer bays having arched windows of 2 flat-headed lights and
lancets above. Interior: auditorium with large panelled raked gallery on 3
sides, supported by slim iron columns of cotton mill type; carved wooden
pedestal pulpit; large wooden organ case; strutted trusses.


Listing NGR: SD8109622802

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.