History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holly Mount

A Grade II Listed Building in Rossendale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.702 / 53°42'7"N

Longitude: -2.2882 / 2°17'17"W

OS Eastings: 381071

OS Northings: 422878

OS Grid: SD810228

Mapcode National: GBR DTGM.DN

Mapcode Global: WH97B.T6KT

Entry Name: Holly Mount

Listing Date: 7 June 1971

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164188

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185810

Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, BB4

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale

Town: Rossendale

Electoral Ward/Division: Longholme

Built-Up Area: Rawtenstall

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Rawtenstall St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Stubbins

Listing Text

SD 82 SW RAWTENSTALL (off) ST. MARY'S WAY

14/231 Holly Mount
7.6.1971
- II


Three houses under one roof; 1835, for the Whitehead brothers (Pevsner); now
offices (mostly unoccupied 1984). Sandstone ashlar, hipped slate roof of low
pitch, with 2 chimneys in front of the ridge, 2 behind it, and 2 at each end.
Double-depth plan, unusually composed of three 3-bay houses in line. Two
storeys, treated as architectural unity, with flat giant pilasters separating
each house and each bay of each house, continuous 1st floor band, moulded
cornice and low parapet; each house symmetrical with central doorway and one
window on each floor in each bay, except central house which has 2 windows on
each floor in the left bay. Doorways framed in pilastered architraves are
round-headed and have set-in unfluted Ionic doorcases, except 1st house where
window now replaces door. Rainwater heads in 3rd and 6th bays lettered
D & W
S
1965 (sic)
Rear has 3 round-headed stairlights, but is otherwise of less interest or
altered. Interior not inspected, but 3 iron-baluster staircases, and some
moulded plaster cornices visible. (Reference: W. Cooke Taylor Tour of the
Manufacturing Districts of Lancashire, 1842, letter IV, pp. 61-67).


Listing NGR: SD8107122878

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.