This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6989 / 53°41'56"N
Longitude: -2.2512 / 2°15'4"W
OS Eastings: 383509
OS Northings: 422529
OS Grid: SD835225
Mapcode National: GBR DTQN.DR
Mapcode Global: WHB8H.D965
Entry Name: Ashlands
Listing Date: 30 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164198
English Heritage Legacy ID: 185815
Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, BB4
Electoral Ward/Division: Hareholme
Built-Up Area: Rawtenstall
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Newchurch St Nicholas with St John
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 82 SW
Large house, dated 1863 at rear, for Samuel Ashworth Lord. Sandstone ashlar
(rear rock-faced), low-pitched slate roof with 4 chimney stacks. L-shaped:
rectangular main block with service wing attached at rear left corner.
Basement and 2 storeys, in Renaissance style; rusticated quoins, plinth,
string course, moulded cornice, low parapet; south (entrance) front of 3
bays, the 3rd projecting and having an open-pedimented gable: square single
storey porch in the angle, with panelled pilasters and round-headed arch with
keystone, one window to the left and 2 above: these and most other windows are
segmental-headed and sashed with shouldered architraves and prominent moulded
sills, but that to left of porch has a cornice with figured consoles
(portraying daughters of Samuel Lord): ground floor of gabled bay to right has
a chamfered rectangular bay with 5 tall round-headed windows, window above
this has a segmental pediment with carved consoles, and carving on the window
head including the head of Samuel Lord. Re-entrant wall and service wing to
left have simpler openings; right return wall (to garden) has 4 windows on
each floor, those at ground floor with moulded cornices and carved consoles.
Rear: plinth incorporates datestone inscribed S A L 1863; stairlight treated as
oriel with 3 lights rounded at both ends and 2 circular lights. Interior:
open well stone staircase with half-landing, ornamental iron balusters;
hallway, stairwell and landing all have elaborate moulded plaster frieze,
cornice and beams; drawing room and dining room have foliated pattern moulded
plaster friezes, the former also ceiling medallions containing paintings.
Plaster work said to be by Italian craftsmen otherwise engaged on decoration
of Manchester theatres. History: Samuel Ashworth Lord, cotton manufacturer
and merchant, of Gog Hills Mills etc.
Listing NGR: SD8350922529
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings