History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Broughton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8035 / 53°48'12"N

Longitude: -2.7166 / 2°42'59"W

OS Eastings: 352899

OS Northings: 434373

OS Grid: SD528343

Mapcode National: GBR 9SGG.N8

Mapcode Global: WH85F.7NMJ

Entry Name: Parish Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 11 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164208

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185861

Location: Broughton, Preston, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Civil Parish: Broughton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Broughton St John The Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Barton

Listing Text

SD 53 SW BROUGHTON CHURCH LANE

7/14 Parish Church of St. John
the Baptist
11.11.1966
GV II*

Parish church. West tower dated 1533, nave rebuilt 1822, chancel and attached
offices 1906 by Austin and Paley. Sandstone (tower of coursed blocks, nave of
ashlar, chancel of rock-faced stone), with slate roofs. Three-stage embattled
tower with diagonal buttresses (dying in the height, with offsets) and
full-height south-west stair turret, has a moulded arched west door and above
this a 3-light Perpendicular window with tracery, a 3-light belfry louvre in
each side; loop-lights to the stair turret, and a parapet string course dated
1533 on the south side, with small gargoyles near the corners. Nave in Early
English style, divided into 5 bays by shallow buttresses, has one large lancet
in each bay, with deeply splayed reveals, and hoodmoulds and sillbands run out
to the buttresses; 2nd and 4th bays on north side have similarly treated doors
beneath raised sills of shortened windows. Full-height chancel and gabled
organ chamber on south side by Austin and Paley, in Perpendicular style
characteristic of these architects, with square-headed traceried windows,
stepped string-courses and battlements, tall 3-light east window with stepped
transom; band below string
course in gable of organ chamber has re-set C16 carved stones with shields and
initials, said to be those of the Singleton, Barton, Langton, and Redmayne
families. Interior: Perpendicular tower arch, and above it the gable-line of
a much smaller former nave; flat ceiling; tub font (removed in early C19 and
used as flower vase, but restored here in 1887, on new pedestal) said to be
Saxon. Probably 3rd church on site since C12. (References: Pevsner; VCH
Lancs; and F. Eden Wilson and Roger D. Houghton A Short History of The
Parish Church of St. John the Baptist, Broughton-in-Amounderness, 1977).


Listing NGR: SD5289934373

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.