History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Storrs Hall Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Arkholme-with-Cawood, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1372 / 54°8'13"N

Longitude: -2.6512 / 2°39'4"W

OS Eastings: 357552

OS Northings: 471454

OS Grid: SD575714

Mapcode National: GBR 9NXL.TP

Mapcode Global: WH951.78SQ

Entry Name: Storrs Hall Cottage

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164229

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182306

Location: Arkholme-with-Cawood, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA6

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Arkholme-with-Cawood

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Arkholme

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Arkholme

Listing Text

ARKHOLME-WITH-CAWOOD B6254
SD 57 SE
4/12 Storrs Hall Cottage
4-10-1967
II

House, 1713, altered. Sandstone rubble with slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays,
with rebated and chamfered mullioned windows, and drip course over ground
floor. The left-hand bay has windows of 4 lights, the right-hand bay of 3
lights. The central bay has a one-light 1st floor window and a doorway
blocked to form a window. The doorway has an ovolo-moulded surround. Above
is a plaque inscribed 'TWM 1713'. Gable chimneys. At the rear, facing the
road, are 2 adjoining gabled wings, the left-hand one possibly original.
The latter wing has 3 2-light rebated and chamfered mullioned windows, one
at an intermediated level probably lighting a stair. At the right on the
ground floor is a one-light window. Under the gable is a plaque, said to
have been removed from a demolished cottage on the opposite side of the
road, inscribed: 'RHC Nunc mei mox hujus Sed postea nescio cujus 1743'.
The right-hand wing has a re-used 3-light mullioned window on the
ground floor, a 2-light flush chamfered mullioned window on the 1st floor,
and a chamfered door surround of C19th type at the left. Above is a stone
tablet carved with a deer in relief. Chippindall, W.H., 'The History of the
Township of Arkholme,' Chetham Society Vol.90, 1931, p.15.


Listing NGR: SD5755271454

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.