History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fairthwaite Park House

A Grade II Listed Building in Burrow-with-Burrow, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1876 / 54°11'15"N

Longitude: -2.5553 / 2°33'19"W

OS Eastings: 363861

OS Northings: 477007

OS Grid: SD638770

Mapcode National: GBR BNL0.LM

Mapcode Global: WH94W.Q0DK

Entry Name: Fairthwaite Park House

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Last Amended: 4 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164360

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182328

Location: Burrow-with-Burrow, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA6

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Burrow-with-Burrow

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Tunstall St John the Baptist and Melling St Wilfred and Leck St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Cowan Bridge

Listing Text

BURROW-WITH-BURROW
SD 67 NW
2/34 Fairthwaite Park House (formerly listed
as Park House)
4-10-1967
II

House, probably 1676. Sandstone rubble with slate roof. North wall of 5
irregularly-spaced bays between 2 projecting gabled wings. Windows
mullioned, mostly rebated and chamfered, but with some having an inner
hollow chamfer. Most have individual hood moulds. To the left of the door
are windows of 3 and 4 lights. To the right are ones of 3 and 3 lights.
Those on the 1st floor are of 3, 3, 2, 4, and 4 lights. The door has a
chamfered surround, partly re-dressed, with an embattled lintel inscribed:
'EW [Edward Wilson] 1676'. The left-hand wing has one-light chamfered
windows to the 1st and attic floors. Its right-hand return wall has a
2-light window on the ground floor and one of 3 lights above. The
right-hand wing has a blank front wall and a left-hand return wall with a
3-light window on both floors. Chimneys to left of door and to right of
4th bay, both with rounded caps, on the gable of the right-hand wing, and
at left of left-hand wing. On the south side of the house a C19th wing
projects at the right, and a former granary, now part of the house,
projects at the left. The latter has a steeply-pitched roof. Between them
are a 3- and a 4-light window, now linked by a further 3 lights. On the
1st floor are ones of 3 and one light, with a 2-light stair window further
right. The gable wall of the former granary has modern timber steps
covering the ground floor. On the 1st floor are 2 3-light windows with a
modern door with plain reveals between them, all under a hood. The
right-hand (east) wall has a modern door with plain reveals, a one-light
window where it adjoins the house, and a projecting chimney. The west wall
has a one-bay link to the main house and a 6-light mullioned window under
the eaves with rebated and chamfered jambs and a timber lintel. On the
ground floor are 2 chamfered loops. On the 1st floor are 2 shaped
ventilation slits. Inside, the granary has 3 roof trusses with tie beams
and collars, the central tie beam now removed. Interior of main house not
accessible at time of survey.


Listing NGR: SD6386177007

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.