History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town End Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Halton-with-Aughton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0771 / 54°4'37"N

Longitude: -2.7604 / 2°45'37"W

OS Eastings: 350346

OS Northings: 464840

OS Grid: SD503648

Mapcode National: GBR 9P59.57

Mapcode Global: WH841.KSR9

Entry Name: Town End Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164371

English Heritage Legacy ID: 181868

Location: Halton-with-Aughton, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Halton-with-Aughton

Built-Up Area: Halton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Halton St Wilfrid

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Bolton le Sands

Listing Text

SD 50 64
17/103

HALTON-WITH-AUGHTON
LOW ROAD,
Halton
Town End Farmhouse

4.10.1967

II
Farmhouse. '1672 WEG' on door lintel. Slobbered sandstone rubble with
stone slate roof. Main front faces west towards garden. 2-unit plan with
gable entrance from road and rear wing of slightly later date. 2 storeys
with attic, with cellar under south end entered from ground level. All
windows on facade mullioned with rebated and chamfered surrounds. To the
left a 6-light window with a king mullion on both floors. In the middle
of the facade 2 stair windows at intermediate level: 2 lights below and
one above. At the right-hand end a 3-light and a 2-light cellar window,
both partly below ground. No windows on the ground floor, but a 2-light
window on the 1st floor. Both gables coped with kneelers, with a chimney
cap on the south gable. North gable has doorway with moulding of jambs
continued around shaped lintel with hood mould over. Rear wall has
chamfered cellar doorway to south with a 3-light rebated and chamfered
mullioned window to its right. Above on the ground floor is a former 4-
light window with one mullion removed. To the right is a doorway with
plain reveals reached by a flight of stone steps. On the 1st floor is a
4-light rebated and chamfered mullioned window with a blocked one-light
window in the angle with the rear wing. On ground floor of south wall of
rear wing is a blocked one-light chamfered window, a 3-light rebated and
chamfered mullioned window and a doorway with re-set battlemented lintel.
On the 1st floor is a 3-light rebated and chamfered mullioned window to
the left and a 2-light chamfered mullioned window to the right. North
wall of wing facing road is pebbledashed with sashes in plain openings.
Interior. Boxed bressumer for lateral firehood against rear wall of 1672
range.


Listing NGR: SD5034664840

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.