This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1841 / 54°11'2"N
Longitude: -2.5621 / 2°33'43"W
OS Eastings: 363413
OS Northings: 476629
OS Grid: SD634766
Mapcode National: GBR BNK1.3V
Mapcode Global: WH94W.M356
Entry Name: Numbers 1, 2, 3 and the Flat, Bronte Cottage
Listing Date: 4 October 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164409
English Heritage Legacy ID: 182339
Location: Burrow-with-Burrow, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA6
Civil Parish: Burrow-with-Burrow
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Tunstall St John the Baptist and Melling St Wilfred and Leck St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 67 NW
2/45 Nos, 1, 2, 3 and The Flat, Bronte
Houses, late C18th, altered. Slobbered rubble with slate roof. 2 storeys.
At the left of the facade are 2 bays which have sashed windows with
glazing bars and plain reveals (the right-hand one on the 1st floor a
modern replacement.) In the right-hand bay is a door with cyma-moulded
surround. To its right is a sashed window with plain reveals. Further
right is a door with a surround of late c19th type with segmental head.
Above is a 2-light window with a stone surround with slight chamfer and a
flat-faced mullion. The main part of the facade has a single-storey canted
sashed bay window on each side of the door. Above on the 1st floor are 5
2-light windows with flat-faced mullions, and surrounds with slight
chamfers. The door between the bay windows has a plain stone surround.
Chimneys on gables and on each side of- middle doorway. The right-hand
(north-east) gable has a plaque inscribed: 'Maria, Elizabeth, Charlotte
and Emily Bronte lived here as pupils of the Clergy Daughter's School
1824-25. The school was moved to Casterton 1833.' An engraving of the
school in 1824 shows the facade substantially as it is today, but with a
school room adjoining at right angles at the left. Pearson, A., Annals of
Kirkby Lonsdale, Kendal, 1930.
Listing NGR: SD6341376629
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings