History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

New Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clayton-le-Dale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8139 / 53°48'50"N

Longitude: -2.5147 / 2°30'52"W

OS Eastings: 366209

OS Northings: 435418

OS Grid: SD662354

Mapcode National: GBR BSWB.CK

Mapcode Global: WH96N.BDSH

Entry Name: New Hall

Listing Date: 27 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164471

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183501

Location: Clayton-le-Dale, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Clayton-le-Dale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Salesbury St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Ribchester

Listing Text

CLAYTON-LE-DALE
SD 63 NE
1/16 New Hall
27-8-1952
- II*
House, 1665. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof now largely missing.
L-plan. A symmetrical composition of 3 storeys, with one gabled bay on
each side of 3-storey gabled porch. Windows double-chamfered with mullions
and hoods. Those to the outer bays are of 4 lights except for the left-
hand one on the ground floor which is of 5. The porch has a window of 3
lights on the 1st floor and 2 on the 2nd floor. Above the 1st floor window
is a stone panel carved with a dog. The outer porch doorway has a
chamfered surround with 'GT [George Talbot] 1665' inscribed on the lintel.
The inner door surround is chamfered with a cambered head. Gables coped
with kneelers. Chimney, with brick cap, on ridge in line with right-hand
side of porch. Central part of left-hand gable wall now collapsed (June
1985). The rear wall of this south-west part of the house has a 2-light
window on the ground and 1st floors. At the left, viewed from the rear, is
a gabled wing which has a Cl9 ground-floor window with plain stone
surround and flat-faced mullion. On each of the other floors there is a
4-light and a 2-light C17 window, the right-hand one on the 1st floor
blocked. At the left is a C19 single-storey gabled porch. The outer
doorway has a chamfered stone surround with Tudor arch. The north-east
gable wall of the house has 3 ground-floor windows with plain reveals, a
blocked C17 window on the 1st floor and a 2-light 2nd floor window.
Interior not fully accessible at time of survey. Front door opens into a
corridor between 2 solid walls. At the rear of this is a Cl9 dog-leg stair
with stick balusters. To the right of the corridor are 2 rooms, a smaller
one at the front, and a larger one at the rear which has boxed beams and a
fireplace with C19 grate. To the left of the corridor the main room is
largely filled by debris and has a collapsed boxed beam.


Listing NGR: SD6620935418

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.