History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Showley Fold Farmhouse and Disused House Adjoining to West

A Grade II Listed Building in Clayton-le-Dale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7891 / 53°47'20"N

Longitude: -2.5127 / 2°30'45"W

OS Eastings: 366320

OS Northings: 432653

OS Grid: SD663326

Mapcode National: GBR BSWM.TG

Mapcode Global: WH96V.C1Q1

Entry Name: Showley Fold Farmhouse and Disused House Adjoining to West

Listing Date: 24 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164494

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183505

Location: Clayton-le-Dale, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB1

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Clayton-le-Dale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Salesbury St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Ribchester

Listing Text

CLAYTON-LE-DALE SHOWLEY ROAD (off)
SD 63 SE
5/20 Showley Fold Farmhouse and disused
24-11-1966 house adjoining to west
- II
Houses, 1747 and 1828. Sandstone rubble with roofs of stone slate and
slate. 2 storeys. The earlier house, now disused, faces south and is of
double-depth plan. On each side of a 2-storey gabled porch it has one bay
with 3-light flush chamfered mullioned windows, except for the right-hand
ground-floor window which is sashed with glazing bars and rendered
surround. The porch has a 2-light 1st floor window. The door has a quoined
surround with 'G D J 1747' inscribed on the lintel. Under the apex of the
gable, which is coped with kneelers, is a shield and inscription: 'T 1828
A'. Coped gables with chimneys. Overlapping the facade slightly at the
right is a narrow 2-storey wing projecting forwards from the gable wall of
the adjoining farmhouse. It has a coped gable with kneelers and ball
finial and a tall 1st floor window with chamfered surround, central
mullion, and hood. The east facade of the farmhouse has one bay on each
side of a 2-storey gabled porch. On the ground floor they have modern
French windows, the right-hand one in a chamfered stone surround with
hood. The 1st floor windows have similar surrounds with hoods. The 1st
floor porch window retains its central mullion. The door has a stone
surround with Tudor-arched head and hood. Coped gables with kneelers, the
porch gable having a pine cone finial. Gable chimneys with rendered
octagonal caps.


Listing NGR: SD6632032653

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.