History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Smeer Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Roeburndale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0885 / 54°5'18"N

Longitude: -2.579 / 2°34'44"W

OS Eastings: 362224

OS Northings: 465996

OS Grid: SD622659

Mapcode National: GBR BPF5.G4

Mapcode Global: WH958.CH4K

Entry Name: Smeer Hall

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164544

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182595

Location: Roeburndale, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Roeburndale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Wray Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Wennington

Listing Text

SD 66 NW
2/59

ROEBURNDALE
Smeer Hall

4-10-1967

II
House, 1664 with mid C18th extension. Sandstone rubble. Roof of stone
slate except for part of rear pitch which is of slate. 2 storeys with
attic. East wall has rebated and chamfered mullioned windows, with some
mullions repaired, and a drip course. On the ground floor are 2 of 3
lights, with a one-light window at the right. To the left is a 2-light
mullioned window reconstructed within a blocked door surround. On the 1st
floor are 2 3-light windows. At the left, in the angle with the taller
extension, which projects forwards, is a single-storey lean-to porch with
a reconstructed 2-light mullioned window in its front wall. The extension
is of 2 bays and has windows with stone surrounds with a slight chamfer,
and flat-faced mullions. Those on the ground floor are of one light. On
the 1st floor they are of 2 lights. Chimneys on right-hand gable and to
each side of extension. The right-hand gable wall has a 3-light
ground-floor window, a 2-light 1st floor window and one of 2 lights to the
attic. At the rear the extension has windows similar to those in its front
wall and is of 2 bays. To the right on the ground floor is one of 3
lights. Those above are of 2 lights. In the left-hand bay there is a
blocked door with plain stone surround. The rear wall of the original
house has been rebuilt and is covered by a C20th lean-to extension.
Inside, the left-hand room of the original house has a firehood bressumer
with a mortise for a heck post towards the rear, suggesting an original
end baffle-entry plan. The ground floor is divided by a plank and muntin
partition with adjacent doorways which have carved doorheads. The doors
are of moulded plank construction. The right-hand one is inscribed: '1664
TW'. The extension has a re-set fireplace with shouldered head and a
partition wall of framed beaded panelling with moulded dado.


Listing NGR: SD6222465996

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.