History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Blands Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Tatham, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1217 / 54°7'17"N

Longitude: -2.575 / 2°34'30"W

OS Eastings: 362514

OS Northings: 469684

OS Grid: SD625696

Mapcode National: GBR BNGS.98

Mapcode Global: WH952.FN1M

Entry Name: Blands Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 October 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164639

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182606

Location: Tatham, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA2

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Tatham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Find accommodation in
Wennington

Listing Text

SD 66 NW TATHAM

2/70 Blands Farmhouse
4-10-1967
GV II

House, 1789. Squared coursed sandstone with stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 2
bays, with chamfered quoins. Windows have plain stone surrounds and are
sashed on the 1st floor and modern below. Door, between bays, has plain
stone surround. Above is an oval plaque inscribed: 'A. Borrow 1789'.
Gables have copings with kneelers, and chimneys. To the right of the
facade is a cellar doorway at a lower level. Inside, the cellar has 2
roughly-dressed stone columns with crude capitals supporting stone lintels
which run from the front to the rear of the house to the left of the
cellar doorway. Despite local speculation about their early date these are
probably late C18th. At the rear to the right is a stone blacksmith's
hearth, which appears to be connected to an underground watercourse by an
opening at the rear. The hearth was probably used to sharpen tools for the
sandstone quarry shown in front of the house on the first edition of the 6
inch Ordnance Survey map of 1847. Porch of baluster columns with semi-
circular pediment, described in Provisional List, now dismantled and lying
in garden.


Listing NGR: SD6251469684

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.