This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.017 / 52°1'1"N
Longitude: 0.5608 / 0°33'38"E
OS Eastings: 575818
OS Northings: 238496
OS Grid: TL758384
Mapcode National: GBR PG5.JL7
Mapcode Global: VHJHR.NKTL
Entry Name: Dovecote Approximately 100 Metres South East of Great Yeldham Hall
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164914
English Heritage Legacy ID: 114430
Location: Great Yeldham, Braintree, Essex, CO9
Civil Parish: Great Yeldham
Built-Up Area: Great Yeldham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Yeldham St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 73 NE GREAT YELDHAM CHURCH ROAD, West Side
4/37 Dovecote approx. 100 metres
7.8.1952 SE of Great Yeldham Hall
Dovecote, C16, altered in early C19. Timber framed, upper half of walls
plastered, lower half weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red clay tiles.
Square plan with large gablets open to E and W, entrance door in W side.
Originally the infill of the timber frame was of wattle and daub; lines of large
pegholes indicate that the nesting boxes were of wood. In the early C19 the
infill was replaced with purpose-made slabs of clay lump, and new nesting boxes
were constructed of the same material, with red clay tiles as ledges. Still
in use at time of survey, January 1984.
Listing NGR: TL7581838496
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings