History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Leck, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1839 / 54°11'1"N

Longitude: -2.5483 / 2°32'53"W

OS Eastings: 364312

OS Northings: 476594

OS Grid: SD643765

Mapcode National: GBR BNN1.2Y

Mapcode Global: WH94W.T3PD

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 4 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164964

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182432

Location: Leck, Lancaster, Lancashire, LA6

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Civil Parish: Leck

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Tunstall St John the Baptist and Melling St Wilfred and Leck St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Cowan Bridge

Listing Text

LECK
SD 67 NW

2/136 Church of St.Peter

II

Church, 1878-9 by Paley & Austin, rebuilt by Austin & Paley in 1915 after
a fire. Sandstone rubble with slate roof. Comprises a west tower with
spire, a nave with north aisle and south porch, a lower chancel, and a
vestry. The tower is of 2 stages with battered walls, a plinth, 2 string
courses, and an octagonal slated spire set back behind a solid parapet.
The bell openings are each of one cinquefoiled light. The west window is
of 3 lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. The south
nave wall is of 2 bays and has windows of 4 elliptically-headed lights
under a flat head. To the right a buttress separates the nave from the
chancel, which has windows of 3 and one trefoiled lights. The south porch
is of timber and has a doorhead carved with a depressed ogee. The inner
stone doorway is moulded and his a pointed arch. The east window has a
segmental head with hood and is of 8 trefoiled lights. Interior has 5-bay
arcade with pointed arches chamfered in 2 orders and round piers with
moulded caps. A further arch on the north side of the chancel opens into
an organ chamber. The tower arch and chancel arch are both pointed. The
open timber roof has trusses with arch-braced king posts rising from
collars and common rafters with collars and straight braces. The font is
octagonal, of sandstone with carved decoration.


Listing NGR: SD6431276594

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.