History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Haighton House

A Grade II Listed Building in Haighton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7988 / 53°47'55"N

Longitude: -2.6619 / 2°39'42"W

OS Eastings: 356498

OS Northings: 433809

OS Grid: SD564338

Mapcode National: GBR THN.DB

Mapcode Global: WH96L.2SP5

Entry Name: Haighton House

Listing Date: 13 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164965

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185937

Location: Haighton, Preston, Lancashire, PR2

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Civil Parish: Haighton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Broughton St John The Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Goosnargh

Listing Text

SD 53 SE HAIGHTON COW HILL (off)

8/90 Haighton House

II
Large house, now partitioned to make 3 dwellings, 1820, built by Captain
Evan Richard Gerard, enlarged after 1832 by new owner James Francis
Anderton. Brick in Flemish bond with sandstone dressings,
shallow-pitched hipped slate roofs. Square plan formed by 5-bay front
range with 5-bay rear extensions under 3-span roof. Two storeys,
symmetrical, in late Georgian style, with 1st floor sillband, moulded
cornice, low parapet, and sashed windows with stone sills and splayed
stone heads; various multiple-flue chimney stacks. Centre bay, breaking
forward slightly (the parapet slightly pedimented), has stone porch of
coupled Tuscan pillars with an entablature, panelled and glazed door with
side lights and segmental fanlight with radiating glazing bars; ground
floor has 4 tall 6-pane sashed windows, 1st floor has five 12-pane sashes.
Right return wall has canted full-height bay in the centre, 7 tall 6-pane
sashes on each floor; left return wall has single-storey canted stone bay
in the centre, windows of varied widths but mostly 12-paned except in bay
which has full-height windows; rear has 2 doors and varied sashed windows;
extension or service wing continued to left from rear corner, now used as
farmhouse (the 3rd dwelling), is of less interest. Interior: principal
feature of interest is entrance hall and staircase, separated by a screen
of modified Corinthian coupled pilasters and responds, with a basket arch
in the centre, and leading to an open-well staircase with scrolled
brackets and 2 stick-balusters per tread, illuminated by a large domed
skylight. Other parts undergoing restoration at time of survey (1985).
History: Anderton family, resident here until C20, active in social life
of Preston, identified with this site by colloquial name for the wooded
valley to the west, "Squire Anderton's Wood", otherwise Fulwood Park Wood.


Listing NGR: SD5649833809

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.