History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dowsby, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8495 / 52°50'58"N

Longitude: -0.3483 / 0°20'53"W

OS Eastings: 511328

OS Northings: 329276

OS Grid: TF113292

Mapcode National: GBR GTY.8RX

Mapcode Global: WHGL0.MMCW

Entry Name: Church of St. Andrew

Listing Date: 22 January 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164977

English Heritage Legacy ID: 194253

Location: Dowsby, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, PE10

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Dowsby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Dowsby St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Rippingale

Listing Text

DOWSBY BOURNE ROAD
TF 12 NW
(west side)
7/39 Church of
St. Andrew
30.11.68
G.V. II*

Parish church. Cll, c.1200, mid C13, early C14, C15, C16,
restored 1864. Coursed limestone and ironstone rubble, limestone
ashlar. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials.
West tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch,
chancel with north vestry. C15 west tower with moulded plinth
and string course and multi-stage angle buttresses. Polygonal
stair turret to south east with slit lights and quatrefoil panel.
West doorway with flattened triangular head, continuous moulded
surround, hood mould and plank doors. Moulded string course
above and large west window with flattened triangular head, 4
cusped pointed lights and hood mould. String course above and
small rectangular light to left with panel containing shield to
right. East side with rectangular doorway giving access to roof,
and rectangular opening to left, both with chamfered surrounds.
Bell openings on all 4 sides, each with a round head, 2 pointed,
cusped lights, hood mould and ornate label stops. Moulded eaves
above with central projecting gargoyles on each face. Clock
below bell opening on south side. Battlements and corner
pedestals of pinnacles no longer extant. North aisle rebuilt
in C19 with moulded plinth and 3 rectangular windows each with 2
cusped ogee headed lights. C19 clerestory above with 3
rectangular windows, each of 2 cusped pointed lights. Vestry to
east with pointed window. North side of chancel with C16
rectangular window with 3 cusped, pointed lights. East end with
2 stage flanking angle buttress. Pointed C19 window with 3
cusped ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. South
side of chancel with C19 rectangular window with 3 pointed,
cusped lights. C19 pointed doorway to left with continuous
chamfered surround, hood mould and plank door. East end of south
aisle rebuilt in C19 embedding 4 fragments of Anglo Saxon
sculpture with interlace decoration of various designs.
Fragments surround a blocked rectangular window with inner
pointed, cusped light. South side of south aisle with plinth, 2
stage buttresses and 2 rectangular windows, that to east late
C14, with 3 richly moulded ogee headed lights, that to the west,
C19, with 3 simple, pointed lights. Gabled south porch with
plinth, single stage buttresses and pointed south doorway with
continuous moulded surround. Porch interior flanked by stone
benches and with C14 pointed doorway with continuous moulded
surround, 2 whorls on jambs and double plank doors. West end of
south aisle with pointed window with Y tracery. Slate monument
above, to Jn Westmoreland, died 1814. Interior tower arch with
moulded pointed head, semi-circular responds with broad fillets,
polygonal abaci with castellated abaci. Stair turret doorway in
south wall with moulded triangular head, broad chamfered jambs
and plank door. Mid C13, 3 bay north arcade with triple rolled
responds with fillets, quatrefoil piers with fillets, pointed,
moulded heads, hood moulds with foliate stops in spandrels. Later
C13 south arcade with polygonal responds, octagonal piers and
double chamfered, pointed heads with hood moulds. C19 pointed
chancel arch with moulded head, corbelled responds with half
shafts. North vestry doorway with pointed head, continuous
chamfered surround and plank door. C19 pointed piscina in south
wall. Blocked doorway in south chancel wall with segmental head.
C19 roofs, pews, pulpit and lectern. C19 tomb recess with C14
effigy, possibly of Ethelreda Rigdon under nodding ogee canopy
flanked by angels, angle shafts, angle buttress shafts and
finials; effigy converted to Elizabethan dress at later date.
C19 font with bowl, octagonal pedestal and C20 hood. Monuments
include a grey and white monument with triangular head and apron,
to Humphrey and Mary Hyde, died 1807 and 1811; 2 black and white
marble monuments to Kingsman Baskett St. Barbe, died 1837; and
George Foster, died 1856; a grey and white marble monument to
the Burrell family, undated; a white and grey marble monument to
the Reverend Kingsman Foster, died 1867; a brass plaque on grey
marble, with red and green detailing, to Kingsman Baskett Foster,
died 1896; and a white and black marble monument to Sarah
Parker, died 1840.


Listing NGR: TF1132829276

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.