This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5387 / 51°32'19"N
Longitude: -0.5912 / 0°35'28"W
OS Eastings: 497801
OS Northings: 183135
OS Grid: SU978831
Mapcode National: GBR F7V.FCH
Mapcode Global: VHFT2.PLTB
Entry Name: The Clock House
Listing Date: 26 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165060
English Heritage Legacy ID: 44214
Location: Stoke Poges, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire, SL2
District: South Bucks
Civil Parish: Stoke Poges
Built-Up Area: Stoke Poges
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Stoke Poges
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 98 SE STOKE POGES PARK ROAD
8/615 The Clock House
Built 1765 for Thomas Penn of Stoke Park with a chapel on the left and an
adjoining L-shaped building on the right an almshouse for 3 men and 3 women.
Red brick; old tile roof. From left to right. First, the single-storeyed
and gabled former chapel. Pointed Gothick window with Y-tracery and leaded
lights. Then, the Master's House, that is, the vicarage that was replaced
in 1802 by James Wyatt's (see item 13/613), since the vicar of Stoke Poges
was also master of the almshouses. Two storeys; 5 bays. Ground floor with
central arched entrance. All windows segment-headed sashes with glazing
bars, those of the 1st floor smaller than those of the ground floor. Then
the former almshouses proper, a 5-bay block with French window on the left
and segment-headed casement windows, a 2-storeyed clock-tower with wooden
cupola astride the gable and another 2-storeyed single bay with segment-headed
casement windows. Walled gardens back and front. Square brick piers surmounted
by balls and wrought iron gates.
Listing NGR: SU9780183135
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings