This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9046 / 51°54'16"N
Longitude: 0.334 / 0°20'2"E
OS Eastings: 560664
OS Northings: 225472
OS Grid: TL606254
Mapcode National: GBR NFX.F9P
Mapcode Global: VHHLR.QDY8
Entry Name: The Bell
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Last Amended: 28 June 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165073
English Heritage Legacy ID: 122210
Location: Great Easton, Uttlesford, Essex, CM6
Civil Parish: Great Easton
Built-Up Area: Great Easton (Uttlesford)
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Broxted with Chickney and Tilty and Great and Little Easton
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
GREAT EASTON THE ENDWAY
(formerly listed as the
TL 62 NW: 4/93
Former Public House, c 1500, two storey, timber framed and plastered house. Roofs
are gabled in peg tile with 1½ storey gabled brewhouse extension on west end and long,
hipped rear extension in clay peg tiles with lean-to at end. Rear elevation has two
stages of outshots and open porch. Front elevation has, on the first floor, 3 double
hung sashes with small panes. The ground floor has a central d.h.s. with small panes,
open pedimented, late C18 doorcases, either side and a pair of canted bay windows with
small panes. The western doorcase is infilled with a modern window. Gable end red
brick stack at west end. Formerly a two storey, long-wall jetty house now underbuilt.
One bay was later partially removed and substituted by a c 1600 cross-wing. The
eastern end was the service end and traces remain of the buttery/pantry subdivision.
The existing front door gives access to the hall and the original muntin and rail
'screen' has been moved to form an internal passage. This retains a part of the
original hall door opening with an ogee and hollow chamfer on the jamb. Part of rear
outshot includes a stair tower with a, partly original, newel stair. The roof is a
remarkable side-purlin/windbrace design, with raised collar over upper chamber,
expanded rafter heads and V struts at the solar end. Floor joists have soffit tenons.
Cast iron yard pump at rear.
Listing NGR: TL6066425472
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings