This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5309 / 51°31'51"N
Longitude: -0.5849 / 0°35'5"W
OS Eastings: 498259
OS Northings: 182276
OS Grid: SU982822
Mapcode National: GBR F7V.WG0
Mapcode Global: VHFT2.TS59
Entry Name: Stoke Place
Listing Date: 23 September 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1165119
English Heritage Legacy ID: 44219
Location: Stoke Poges, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire, SL2
District: South Bucks
Civil Parish: Stoke Poges
Built-Up Area: Slough
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Stoke Poges
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 98 SE STOKE POGES STOKE GREEN
8/619 Stoke Place
Central section completed in 1698, the wings added circa 1755. More additions
of C19 to left and right. Red brick; old tile roof. Central section of
2 storeys, basement and attic. Five bays, the centre 3 advanced and pedimented.
Basement with five 2-light casement windows. Ground and 1st floors with
5 flush sash windows. Stringcourse at 1st floor level. Modern dormer windows.
All windows with glazing bars. To the left and separated from the central
section, a 2-bay addition in the same style except that the windows are
in reveals. Left and right of this composition, C18 wings. That on the
left is of 6 bays. Segment-headed windows in reveals. Ground floor windows
altered. That on the right is of 4 bays. Ground floor with 4 Tuscan columns
supporting an entablature and forming a covered way. Flush windows. Hipped
roof. Garden elevation with big bow windows running through 2 storeys of
wings. Centre with curved pediment doorcase. No central pediment on this
side but timber dentil cornice. Interior with remains of rococo plasterwork
and painted wall decoration; entrance hall with screen of 4 Roman Doric
Columns. F M Sir George Howard lived here, 1771-96.
Listing NGR: SU9825982276
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings